Maths et Délires
Des maths et des délires

Maths et Délires Index du Forum

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

where to learn maths vocabulary in english?
Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Maths et Délires Index du Forum -> International
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Emel
Matheux (se)

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 19:33    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Aaaa ok that's cool because when you are bilingual I think that's not very cool to learn things that you already know. I would like to be belingual, just in english and why not in spanich but it's not very easy in my opinion when you are not an english or a spanish.
Do you take the first certificate exam of cambridge in your school ??
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé MSN Messenger
Tsuki
Taupin(e) ou équivalent

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 19:59    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Yes, we do Very Happy
Moreover, I passed it this year!
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Emel
Matheux (se)

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 21:00    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Ooo super me too !! Did you have a grade B or A or not ?? Me I had the grade C but I'm happy to have it because I think it was hard compares with the others years. Do you remember this text about the bird (I can't remember the exact name but I remember well how difficult it was to understand). We don't have a great rate of success in my school, do you ?
Would you like to take the advenced the next year ??
Jill-Jênn
Au fait, on t'avait dit d'arrêter de flooder

Localisation: ENS Cachan, France, Europe, Terre, Univers, ENS Cachan...

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 21:00    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Tsuki a écrit:
Yes, we do Very Happy
Moreover, I passed it this year!
How was it? ;)
A girl-friend passed it this year too, and she got an A \o/
(do you know the difference between girl-friend and girlfriend? ;))
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer l'e-mail Visiter le site web du posteur Adresse AIM Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emel
Matheux (se)

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 21:03    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Lol I don't know the difference, explain please. Your girlfriend it's the person you love and a girl-friend ... a pen ??
She is bilingual or not your girl ??? Because it's really impressive, for me in that case !!
Tsuki
Taupin(e) ou équivalent

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 21:18    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

I got an A. Usually, at my school we take it in Tale, but I exceptionally could do it this year. The pupils who had taken it with me were in Tale Euro. We all passed, and only 8 from 26 got a C.
I especially found the Listening paper more difficult than those we did in class. However, to my greatest surprise, I got an Exceptional for this paper, as for all the other papers except Reading, where I got a Good.
Emel
Matheux (se)

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 21:24    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Tsuki a écrit:
We all passed, and only 8 from 26 got a C.

Aaa ok, in my school only 40% passed the test so I was very happy to have my first !!! I think that the most important is not the grade you had but the fact that you passed the exam, after ...
Duco
Matheux(se) cinglé(e)

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 22:09    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

ah the Cambridge exam. I know that one very well. I got the training book to do instead of following the normal lessons at school; the woman living next to me is English and has teached english for a long time at the International School about everywhere around the world so she gives me tips, etc... but I won't pass the exam itself.

For myself I can be considered as trilingual ^^, for I speak French aswell as Dutch and English. Actually I'm working on the fourth: German.
Right this week I have an american exchange student at my house. Last year we went to their school in Racine, Wisconsin wich was very nice. Now it's our turn to return their the favor. Luckily for me he's a very cool guy and luckily for him he hasn't to talk much french because my parents and I are fluent in English Razz

18+57=Tôrchhhh
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer l'e-mail Visiter le site web du posteur MSN Messenger
Emel
Matheux (se)

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 22:22    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Ooo that's good, he loves maths or not ??? I think that's a good experience to have a student with him but you are bilingual so it's probably not very difficult to communicate.. As far as what concerned the travels, I will do a trip in europe this summer and I will go to your country if I remember well. It's really nice, no ??

Will your friend communicate on this chat ??
Tsuki
Taupin(e) ou équivalent

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 22:27    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Wow that's cool, Duco!
I am trilingual too, since I speak French, Russian and German, and I also am almost fluent in English. Moreover, I have a good level in Italian and understand Polish. I study Hebrew, and we do an exchange with a school in Tel Aviv, they came to Bordeaux some weeks ago. I guess I could have improved my Hebrew, but lazy as I am, I asked to have a penfriend who speaks Russian (which wasn't difficult to organise since they are lots of Russian people in Israel). Very Happy
Salque
Mathématicien(ne) fou (folle)

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 22:46    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

I'm bilingual French/Russian, I speak quite fluently English, and I also know German to some extent...
In 3eme, I took part in a school exchange with Royal Grammar School in Worcester (England)... and my pen-pal was a very nice guy, good at nearly everything but mathematics especially Smile Unfortunately, I have lost contact with him, but I would be very glad to hear from him again...
Tsuki
Taupin(e) ou équivalent

MessagePosté le: 27 Mar 2006, 23:13    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

I forgot to say that I'm going to go to England in...4 days with my class Very Happy
I'm quite happy since I've never been to an English-speaking country...
Jill-Jênn
Au fait, on t'avait dit d'arrêter de flooder

Localisation: ENS Cachan, France, Europe, Terre, Univers, ENS Cachan...

MessagePosté le: 28 Mar 2006, 15:04    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Emel a écrit:
Lol I don't know the difference, explain please. Your girlfriend it's the person you love and a girl-friend ... a pen ??
She is bilingual or not your girl ??? Because it's really impressive, for me in that case !!
You have to say : "Is she bilingual", haven't you?
Here is the answer : A girlfriend is the person you love (and who loves you Smile), and a girl-friend is only a friend of you who is a girl ;)
To all : your english level is very impressive!

A question to the bilinguals : when you read a text in one of the languages you speak, do you have to translate into your maternal language, or not?
I can't understand how someone can master two languages...
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer l'e-mail Visiter le site web du posteur Adresse AIM Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
antony

MessagePosté le: 28 Mar 2006, 16:36    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Well, I speak fluently French and Chinese, and quite fluently English... I've nearly no hope anymore for mastering German some day Very Happy, but I think I'll study Russian again once in a grande école (I've learnt it for three years in senior high school). And I still hope to be able to go to Taiwan one day to improve my Chinese (in particular reading/writing) and to get some bits of Taiwanese.

As for your question, Jill-Jênn, well, it depends... for example, when I do math, I usually think in French, except when I have to compute something numerically... then I usually prefer to do it in Chinese (perhaps because I learnt to count in Chinese ?).
Salque

MessagePosté le: 28 Mar 2006, 16:47    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Citation:
A question to the bilinguals : when you read a text in one of the languages you speak, do you have to translate into your maternal language, or not?

Nope. In fact, it's the same with English for me, although I do not speak English quite as fluently as a mother tongue. But it is clear that as long as you have to translate into your own language what you read (or hear) in some foreign language, you'll never be able to really use it, understand it, feel its spirit - in one word, be comfortable with that language.
What is funny as well is that in my mind, I can think in both languages. It mainly depends on where I am : if I am at home or in Russia - that is, among Russian-speaking people - I think mostly in Russian ; and if I am among French-speaking people, I think mostly in French. However, it also depends on what I'm thinking about ; for instance, when I think about Russian people, I usually think about them in Russian because I speak Russian with them ; when I think about subjects I learn in school, I think in French because lessons are taught in French ; and so on. In fact, when I think about certain subjects - such as some fields in mathematics - I even think in English, because I learned about them in English !
Emel
Matheux (se)

MessagePosté le: 28 Mar 2006, 18:04    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Jill-Jênn a écrit:
You have to say : "Is she bilingual", haven't you?

Yes yes that's right but when I was in England they were not very careful with that, it's just a detail no?? And I'm not belingual me lol so I think it's normal to make some errors. Very Happy

Citation:
To all : your english level is very impressive!

Thank you, your english is very well too !
Emel
Matheux (se)

MessagePosté le: 28 Mar 2006, 18:17    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Citation:
But it is clear that as long as you have to translate into your own language what you read (or hear) in some foreign language, you'll never be able to really use it, understand it, feel its spirit - in one word, be comfortable with that language.

Yes I think you are right but it's not very easy fot those who have not learn the english for exemple since their birth. Don't you think that someone would be able to speak correctly a language (not as well as a bilingual sure but well ) ??I think also that if you have been living in the USA for exemple since 3 years you are able to think in english. If you must speak all the journey in a foreigner language in my opinion it is possible to become bilingual, no ??

Citation:
What is funny as well is that in my mind, I can think in both languages.

That's quite strange for me because when I speak in english more often I translate in french but sometime I don't translate. I think that it depends on the difficulty of the discussion.
There is also an other thing that happens to me, if I'm in a spanish class for exemple sometimes I think in english and not in spanish. And it happens also in english. That's not very good when you are taking a test lol. Does it happen to you sometimes ??

A last question ... do you think that learn at your children a language even if you are not bilingual is a good idea ?? Some parents do that to have children who speak a lot of languages since a long time. I don't know if it's very good.
Salque

MessagePosté le: 28 Mar 2006, 18:43    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

[quote="EmelDon't you think that someone would be able to speak correctly a language (not as well as a bilingual sure but well )[/quote]

I'm a live example. I started to learn English when I was 5 or 6, I believe (maybe earlier), but until the age of 12 or something like that, I did not speak fluently at all. Then I read a book (the Lord of the Rings) in English, and that really made me improve my level. Today, I read English nearly everyday, mainly in the Internet. However, I have never lived for a long time in an English-speaking country - I only made a school exchange for two weeks. And indeed, I read and write English much better than I speak it.

Citation:
There is also an other thing that happens to me, if I'm in a spanish class for exemple sometimes I think in english and not in spanish. And it happens also in english. That's not very good when you are taking a test lol. Does it happen to you sometimes ??

Yes : I tend to confuse languages that I don't speak very well. This includes mainly German, Spanish and Italian : I learn German in school, but as for Italian and Spanish, I have never really "learnt" those languages - I mean, I have never taken any course ; however, I have spent some time in Spain, in Mexico and in Italy, so I picked up a few words. So when I try to speak Spanish or Italian, sometimes German words come up in my mind, although German is not similar at all to those languages !
Invité

MessagePosté le: 28 Mar 2006, 19:44    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Citation:
Citation:

Nope. In fact, it's the same with English for me, although I do not speak English quite as fluently as a mother tongue. But it is clear that as long as you have to translate into your own language what you read (or hear) in some foreign language, you'll never be able to really use it, understand it, feel its spirit - in one word, be comfortable with that language.
What is funny as well is that in my mind, I can think in both languages. It mainly depends on where I am : if I am at home or in Russia - that is, among Russian-speaking people - I think mostly in Russian ; and if I am among French-speaking people, I think mostly in French. However, it also depends on what I'm thinking about ; for instance, when I think about Russian people, I usually think about them in Russian because I speak Russian with them ; when I think about subjects I learn in school, I think in French because lessons are taught in French ; and so on. In fact, when I think about certain subjects - such as some fields in mathematics - I even think in English, because I learned about them in English !

It's exactly the same for me! I always think in the language which corresponds most to the situation. But in fact, I don't really know if my thoughts are in a language. Sometimes I have the impression that in my head I have developed a sort of "language", in which I think.

For me learning languages has always been quite easy given that I've always been at least bilingual (in different languages, for exemple there was a time when I spoke Hebrew fluently...), which, of course had me got used to learning languages. As a matter of fact, I feel the "spirit" of a language very quickly, which makes me quite good at grammar.

Citation:
Citation:
There is also an other thing that happens to me, if I'm in a spanish class for exemple sometimes I think in english and not in spanish. And it happens also in english. That's not very good when you are taking a test lol. Does it happen to you sometimes ??There is also an other thing that happens to me, if I'm in a spanish class for exemple sometimes I think in english and not in spanish. And it happens also in english. That's not very good when you are taking a test lol. Does it happen to you sometimes ??

Yes : I tend to confuse languages that I don't speak very well. This includes mainly German, Spanish and Italian : I learn German in school, but as for Italian and Spanish, I have never really "learnt" those languages - I mean, I have never taken any course ; however, I have spent some time in Spain, in Mexico and in Italy, so I picked up a few words. So when I try to speak Spanish or Italian, sometimes German words come up in my mind, although German is not similar at all to those languages !

Lol I guess I do the most original confusions... Recently, the most recurrent are Hebrew-Japanese, Hebrew-Italian and Japanese-Italian (don't ask me how I manage to do that!! :) ). Of course, English-French, French-Russian, German-French and German-Russian do occur, too. Before, when I was studying Latin, I also sometimes confused Latin and Italian...
Razz
Tsuki
Taupin(e) ou équivalent

MessagePosté le: 28 Mar 2006, 19:46    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

I was the guest Embarassed
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Maths et Délires Index du Forum -> International Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
Page 2 sur 3

Sauter vers: